Home     Destinations      Travel Tips     Photos     Maps     Beer     Contact Info

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sandboarding and Alien Landings

Today finds us in Nazca, Peru and happily disease free. Chris ended up feeling pretty bad in Chachapoyas as well so he took some of the same antibiotics prescribed to me. We’ve both finished the course of pills and are feeling much better and ready to tackle all things tourist.

Yesterday we went sandboarding. And what a giant pile of suck that turned out to be. If you ask Chris, it was awesome. We were on the highest sand dune in the world and had the thing completely to ourselves. It was a 2 hour hike to reach the top, a long decent on the boards for about 30 minutes, and a 1 hour hike back. He loved the desert, the dune, being alone with nature, blah blah blah. If you ask me, the hike was hard, the desert is dry and hot and sandy, and I am so miserable at sandboarding it made me want to cry. It was basically, my typical response to all things nature.

Today, we went to see the Nazca Lines. Chris paid extra and flew over the lines, as this is the best way to see them. I get airsick (I sound really lame in this post) and wanted to save some money, so I had a guide take me to some of the lines by car. The Nazca and Inca people created these lines and pictures in the sand. No one really knows why, but some of the lines follow the faults caused by earthquakes, some follow the flow of water from underground aqueducts, some follow the path of the sun in winter and summer months, and some are just big giant pictures of plants and animals and people. Theories include a big giant calendar, landing strips for aliens, and rituals and offerings for the gods. It was all very interesting. Chris has the better photos and you can see them on our photo page.

Tonight we are taking the bus to Cusco where we will eventually see Macchu Picchu. But this time through, we’re seeing my best friend Liz who is flying there to visit from Nebraska. Cusco is apparently the gringo capitol of Peru, so I expect for things to cost a lot more and to get hassled a bit more too. But my Lizzie is coming and needs to see Macchu Picchu and this worked out the best for everyone. Now I just need for Chris to somehow see the Indy 500 next weekend and everyone will be happy.

No comments: