Home     Destinations      Travel Tips     Photos     Maps     Beer     Contact Info

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Our last day in BA... I made a rhyme

I´m at an internet cafe with a crazy Spanish keyboard so if some strange stuff starts to pop up on this post, like ñ, ^`, ¿, etc. please ignore it.

Chris and I are still in Buenos Aires, and we leave tonight by bus for Rio Gallegos. It´s a 36 hour trip, we leave at 8pm tonight and we had to be out of our hostel at 10a today, so we´ll be showerless for a long time. I feel like Steve Martin in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles where he tells the guy, "I´ve been wearing the same underwear since Tuesday." That will literally be us on Thursday. Gross.

When we arrived in Buenos Aires, we had booked a hostel ahead of time in the center of town which is conveniently named Centro. Centro is packed, noisy, hot, and dirty. I was not a fan. Our hostel wasn´t much better, they messed up our reservations, so the first night we stayed in a six bed dorm with bunkbeds and no AC. The women´s shower would not drain, and the towels smelled like powdered cheese. We were walking through the neighborhood of San Telmo, and I saw a hostel that I liked. We did not ask to see the rooms, and I based my opinion solely on the fact that this hostel was painted pretty on the inside. Next time, we need to look at the rooms and bathrooms and I need to not judge things based on pink paint. Our new hostel was noisy, packed, a smokers haven, dirty, and no AC anywhere. The bathrooms were even dirtier (an almost impossible feat) and there was never any toilet paper. But the towels didn´t stink and I had a full length mirror in our room... I´ll give it that much. So I am looking forward to a new hostel in Rio Gallegos, hopefully not as crappy.

Yesterday, Chris and I walked through the neighborhood of Palermo. This is the good neighborhood where a couple of people told me to stay, if we make it back here, I will def. do that. We tried to get to the Evita Museum but they were closed on Mondays so we briefly strolled through the botanic gardens, peered at some walrus at the zoo through a fence, and then had drinks and snacks. Basically, a lot of our sightseeing revolves around drinks and snacks and I´m 100% OK with that.

My gayification of Chris continues, as last night I made him go to a super touristy tango show. It was fun, but a lot like going to a luau in Hawaii, you just know it´s so fake and overpriced. Chris wanted to write about that so I won´t steal his thunder. We couldn´t really take pictures, but I´ll get what I can up shortly on our Photos page.

As for Buenos Aires, I leave having learned some new things. Here they are in no particular order...

1. Tortillas and Omelettes are pretty much the same thing. They both have the same ingredients, but the tortilla version comes perfectly circular right our of the pan, and the omelette version comes a little messy and thinner. Both are delicious.

2. Pedestrians DO NOT and NEVER WILL have the right of way. Even after the green walking man pops up on the light to tell you to cross, people peer timidly out for the cars running lights. When it is clear, they dash out, almost like deer trying to cross a highway in the middle of the night.

3. When my schedule is adjusted accordingly, I am totally fine with eating dinner at 10pm or later.

4. After less than 3 weeks of travelling, I already hate all of my clothes.

5. Girls here are currently wearing the bright color-white outfit. It´s usually a green top with white pants or shorts or a skirt, paired with green shoes and a green handbag. Sometimes the white and green switch spots with the top becoming white and the pants becoming green, but it´s pretty much the same thing. Tuesday must be purple and white day as Chris and I saw that a bunch today. It was pink and white day on Saturday.

6. The people here are generally nice and very patient with you when you butcher their language and try to communicate via bad Spanish.

7. Chris´ new love is for the Empanada. A piece of dough folded in half, stuffed with a variety of meats and cheeses, and baked in an oven. He´s obsessed, although he´s already obsessed with other folded foods like wraps, sub sandwiches, and calzones so he says it´s not a big deal.

And that´s about it. The spell check isn´t working so I apologize. We will write more soon and we will soon be in the southernmost city in the world. Good times!

1 comment:

Bruce said...

I will try again. must have lost the first try. Keep your hands out of the two pillows. By the time you read this your feet will probably be swollen from the long bus ride. Sounds like alot of fun.I left you some cash for beer. Looking forward to our trip to BA this summer. Stay safe and happy!
Uncle Bruce